The Weigh Station consists of a standalone scale, label printer, and tablet. It’s designed to let you quickly weigh products and print package labels that can be scanned at the point of sale.
In this article you'll learn how to assemble your Weigh Station hardware, configure your scale, and print your first label.
Before you set up
- Check your Wi-Fi connection. Ensure you can load sites such as google.com from your Android tablet.
- Make sure you have all Weigh Station hardware (see below).
- You will need at least three open nearby power outlets (four recommended).
Checklist of Weigh Station hardware
- Barcode Label Printer (Zebra ZD410 or Zebra LP 2824), its power cord, and its USB 2.0 Hi-speed A to B Device Cable.
- 2.25" by 4" thermal labels.
- A&D, Citizen, Ohaus, or Radwag scale, and its power cord.
- LAVA SimulCharge USB Adapter (TL-002).
- C2G 4-Port USB 2.0 hub, its AC Adaptor power cord, and mini USB connector.
- Blue/silver serial-to-USB cable (CTG-26886) included with C2G USB 2.0 hub.
- RS232 Black serial cable (#25216) — Please note: we will send this separately with your Weigh Station kit. Do not use the serial cable that came with your scale, which will prevent your scale from connecting.
- Android tablet and power cord with charger, fully charged.
You will need each of these parts to set up your weigh station. If you are missing any of these parts, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Don’t connect anything yet! Disconnect any power cords you may have already connected.
2. Open Google Play Store on the tablet. Search for and download the Green Bits Weigh Station App.
3. The first screen you see will ask you to enter your device code. To find your device code, log in to your Back Office and go the Devices page.
4. Press the “Link New Device” button on the upper right. Name your Weigh Station, click “Save”, and you'll be given a device code. Enter that code into the Weigh Station App and Press “Link”.
5. Connect the LAVA Simulcharge USB Adapter to the tablet, as pictured below.
6. Connect the C2G 4-Port USB 2.0 hub to the LAVA SimulCharge USB Adapter. Plug in the SimulCharge to its AC adaptor.
7. Connect the LAVA SimulCharge USB Adapter to an outlet with the charger that came with your Samsung tablet. This should remain connected to power at all times. Longer micro USB cables are available anywhere electronics are sold.
8. Connect your scale to power and turn it on. Next, connect the provided RS232 Black serial cable (#25216) to the blue and silver cable (CTG-26886). Then connect the other side of your Blue/silver serial-to-USB cable to the C2G USB hub. Finally, connect the other side of the RS232 black cable to the RS232-C port on the back of the scale.
9. The app will ask you whether you want it to open whenever this USB device is connected. Check the box “Use by default for this USB device” and tap “OK”.
10. Plug in the Zebra label printer with its power cord, add 2.25 x 4" labels and connect the label printer to the included USB 2.0 Hi-Speed A to B Device Cable. Connect that USB cable directly to the C2G 4-port USB hub. The app will ask again whether you want the app to open when that device is connected. Check the box "Use by default for this USB device" and tap “OK”.
11. From the Device Management screen, tap “Add New Device”, then “Printer”.
12. Select “USB” if connecting your label printer via the C2G USB hub pictured above. Otherwise, select “Network” if connecting your printer via Ethernet to your router or a network switch, or Bluetooth if connecting the printer wirelessly to the tablet via Bluetooth pairing.
13. Select “Print Test”, verify that a test label has printed, then tap “Finish Adding”.
14. Set the scale to send the weight automatically to the app, or in Streaming mode. If you want to manually add weight to the app, skip to Weighing and Printing below.
For our customers, most commonly A&D FX300iN, follow these configuration instructions:
On the scale, hold down the “Sample” button until it says “bASFnc”. Tap the “Sample” button four times until it says “dout”. Press the “Print” button once. Tap the “Zero” button until it says “Prt 3”. Press the “Print” button. It will say “end” and then change to “SiF”. Turn the scale off and back on.
Learn to configure your A&D EK1200i Scale.
15. Back on the Device Management screen in the app, tap “Add New Device”, select “Scale”, and then “USB”.
16. Select “Prolific Technology Inc”.
17. Tap the arrow to expand. Your default scale Manufacturer, Transmission Rate (Baud Rate), and Data Parity will auto-populate. Tap “Choose”.
18. Place an object on the scale and verify that the weight reading on the scale automatically shows up on the tablet. Tap “Finish Adding”.
19. Tap the “Back” button at the top left to exit Device Management and go to the Products screen.
Weighing and printing
1. On the Products screen, click the plus symbol on the lower right.
2. Find the product you want to weigh out. You can scroll through the list, search by name, or filter by product type in the upper right-hand corner. On the right, you'll see which products are already displayed in the Weigh Station App. Tap on the product name you’d like to add.
Note: this is a list of all products you have marked Sellable in your Back Office. You can mark products sellable or unsellable from your Back Office Inventory page.
3. Select the appropriate Package Number/SKU that you’re weighing.
4. The item you've just selected will now show up as a Flower Tile on the Products screen. You can edit, move, or delete these buttons by tapping the “Edit” icon near the top right. Tap, hold, and drag tiles to move them. Deleting a tile only removes the tile from this screen, and does not remove the product from your inventory. When finished editing, tap the Checkmark icon.
5. Click on the Flower Tile for the product you’re weighing.
6. Place the flower on the scale. You’ll see the weight on the app change from 0g to the weight on the scale’s screen.
7. Tap “Print” on the bottom of the screen. The printer will generate a package label based on your template (if applicable) and the testing & package information entered for that product on Green Bits.
You can enter this information in your Back Office by finding the product, scrolling down to its package ID, and clicking Actions > Edit.
Tip: You can preload the app with tiles for all the bulk flower products you commonly sell so all you have to do is tap the box when you’re ready to weigh it out.