Before you start:
- You will need your Green Bits Username and Password for your account.
- Check your wireless internet connection. Ensure you can load sites (such as google.com) from your iPad.
- Make sure that there is an open network port at your router.
- Make sure that the router is close enough to the printer that it can be connected by the ethernet cables you will use. An ethernet connection is necessary because the label printer is not wireless/bluetooth compatible. Be sure you can physically access your router.
- Identify three available power outlets that are nearby.
- Make sure you have all the hardware (see below).
- Barcode label printer (Zebra ZD410 OR Zebra LP 2824)
Important: Your label printer must have an ethernet port (not USB)
- Power cord for barcode label printer
- Barcode labels (Thermal Labels)
- Scale (A&D FX-300i or 1200i*)
- Power cord for the scale
- Lantronix 2 Port Ethernet Device Server (UDS2100)
- Power cord for the Lantronix
- Four Cat5E ethernet network cables - The length will depend on distance between the devices and your router
- iPad charger
- Lightning to USB 3 adapter - to connect the iPad to the label printer
- USB ethernet adapter
- 3' serial cable (RS232)
*Check with the state to make sure you have the legally required scale.
To Install the Register App:
1 Install the register app. Open the App Store and search for Green Bits Register. Make sure you have the latest version of the Green Bits Register app. You'll need at least version 1.58.
2 Lay out all the pieces of hardware, make sure you have everything you need! Please see the above list.
3 Connect the label printer. Use an ethernet cable to connect the printer to the router. Load in the labels, plug it into a power source and turn the printer on. For more detailed instructions, follow the first four steps on our How to Install the Barcode Label Printer.
4 Connect the Scale. Connect the power source to the scale. Connect the power source to the Lantronix Serial Adapter. Take the included RS232 Serial cable, use it to connect the scale to the Lantronix Serial Adapter. Important note - do not use the cable provided with the Lantronix adapter. Use the serial cable that was supplied with your kit. Use the 4th ethernet cable to connect the Lantronix Adapter to your router. This is how the scale will connect with the internet.
Next, connect the Lantronix Serial Adapter to the router with an ethernet cable.
5 Connect the iPad. Connect the iPad to the router. Connect the Lightning to USB Camera Adapter to the iPad. From there, connect the Lightning to USB cable to a power source and plug it into the wall. In the other port, connect the USB Ethernet Adapter, and connect that to the router with an ethernet cable.
6 Power up the router. Plug the router into its power source and using an ethernet cable, plug into your network port. Do not plug this ethernet cable (or any cable) into the WAN port on the TP Link router. Plug it into any of the other ports.
7 Configure the scale to send weight automatically to the app. After connecting the scale to power, turn the scale on. Hold down the SAMPLE button until it says “bASFnc.” Press the SAMPLE button 4 times until it says “dout.” Press Re-zero until the reading says “Prt 3”. Press the PRINT button until it says “end,” then change it to “5iF.” Turn scale off and back on.
8 Configure the scale to work with the Lantronix Serial Adapter. Hold the SAMPLE button until it says"bASFnc" and press the SAMPLE button until it says "5iF," then hit print. Set "bP5" number to 4 by pressing the ZERO button. Once on 4, press SAMPLE to get to "btPr" screen. Set "btPr" to number 2 (by hitting zero). Once finished, press PRINT to save, then power the scale off and on.
9 Configure the label printer. Now that everything is plugged in and the scale is set correctly, it's time to configure the label printer in the Register App. From the iPad, navigate to the Register App, enter your PIN, and then click on the menu icon in the upper left corner. Select settings. In the Device Setup Menu, select Label Printer. Next select the Zebra Label Printer from the list and tap it to connect. It may be listed by its serial number. You'll see a green check mark on the right hand side.
10 Configure the scale. Finally, use the back arrow at the top of the screen to return to the Settings Menu. From Device Setup, select Scale. select the correct port representing which serial port the scale is plugged into. For serial port 1, you'll see an IP address ending 100001. If you have the scale plugged into serial port 2, select the IP address ending
Setup complete! Now simply select your flower, place product on the scale and and hit the check mark to proceed to the rest of your transaction. The label will print at the end when you hit the tender button.