Set up Discount Plans for commonly used discounts and promotions.
You need Manage Discounts permissions to create and edit Discount Plans
Create a new Discount Plan
- Go to Marketing > Discount Plans.
- Select Add Discount Plan.
- Enter the Name of the discount as you want it to appear on the Register and on customer receipts. Discounts are listed by name in alphabetical order in both Back Office and the Register.
- By default, the Discount Plan is set to Enabled - Yes. To discontinue a Discount Plan and hide it from the Register, select Enabled - No.
- Select a Discount Type.
- Enter at Register - Enter any dollar amount or percentage at the Register.
- Discount By Percent - Discount the total sale amount or a specific item by a percentage. When used with the Auto Apply setting (see below), the discount applies to the total sale.
- Discount Item By Amount - Reduce the price of an item by a pre-set dollar amount.
- Discount Item To Amount - Reduce the price of an item to a pre-set dollar amount.
- Discount Sale By Amount - Discount the total sale by a dollar amount.
- Round Up To Dollar - Use this setting to avoid collecting change on percentage-based discounts. For example, a discount of 10% on a $14.00 item would be $1.40; with this option enabled the discount is rounded up to $2.00 and the final price of the item is $12.00.
- Optionally, set up conditions. All conditions must be met before you can apply the discount.
- Auto Apply
- Select Yes to automatically apply the discount if all conditions are met.
- Select No to make the discount manually applicable if all conditions are met.
- Brand: Make the discount applicable only to Products of a specified Brand. Make sure the Brand name you enter here exactly matches the name entered in the Brand field on individual Products.
- Make the discount applicable only on, before, or after a specific date, or between certain dates.
- To set up a repeating discount for certain days of the week, use the Recurrence condition.
- Is Marijuana: Select Yes if you want to apply the discount only to marijuana items. Select No if you want to apply the discount only to non-marijuana items.
- Item Weight: Make the discount applicable to items of a specific weight, less than or greater than a certain weight, or within a certain range of weights.
- Product Type: Make the discount applicable only to a certain Product Type
- Make the discount applicable to specific quantities, less than or greater than a certain quantity, or within a range of quantities.
- This applies only to unit-based items, and only to SKUs. For example, if you set a quantity condition of 2 units, then add two units of the same Product, but from different SKUs, the Register will not apply the discount.
- Sell Price: Make the discount applicable only to individual items based on item price.
- Time: Make the discount applicable only during a specified time of day, such as a "Happy Hour" or "Early Bird" special.
- Total Weight: Make the discount applicable based on the total weight of all items on the transaction.
- Recurrence: Make the discount applicable only on a certain day of the week, such as "Wax Wednesdays" or "Shatterday".
- Person Group: Specify which customers can take advantage of this discount.
There are two levels of permissions required before you can apply discounts:
- Under Settings > Roles, your Role needs to have the Alter Sales > Apply discounts permission.
- Each individual Discount Plan also has permissions for each Role. This is useful when you want to give your staff the ability to apply most discounts, while keeping some discounts restricted to managers or admins, such as an open-ended customer satisfaction discount.
Vendor Reimbursed Discounts
This setting is used only in rare circumstances where a vendor is reimbursing you for discounts you offer on that vendor's products, and when your local tax code considers this reimbursement to be taxable revenue. Learn more about Vendor Reimbursed Discounts and consult an accountant or tax professional to determine if this is appropriate.
Learn how to apply discounts at the Register.