When this setting is turned on, Greenbits automatically changes the status of a SKU to Not For Sale as soon as its quantity reaches zero.
If a SKU's status is Not For Sale, it doesn't appear in search results in the Register, and the Register won't recognize the item if a budtender scans it.
The benefits of this setting are that it:
- Automates the process of removing sold-out SKUs from the Register and reduces the chance that a budtender will sell from the wrong SKU. You would otherwise need to do this manually for each SKU when it sells out.
- Reduces the amount of inventory data that the Register app has to load when you start your day, resulting in faster load times and better overall Register performance.
When this setting is turned off, Greenbits automatically changes the status of a SKU to Not For Sale only when it has 0 quantity and no activity for 120 days. Learn more about automatic inventory cleanup.
How it works
To enable Prevent Sales When Quantity Reaches 0:
- Go to Settings > Store Options.
- Scroll down to the Inventory Options and check the box for Prevent Sales When Quantity Reaches 0.
Greenbits will now mark as Not For Sale any SKU that reaches 0 quantity for any of the following reasons:
- A budtender sells the last unit(s) on hand.
- An inventory manager adjusts the quantity to 0.
- An inventory manager converts, splits, or merges the entire remaining quantity into another SKU.
There are a few more important things to know:
- Greenbits recommends periodically going through your 0-quantity inventory and changing the status of SKUs or Products that you'll never sell again to Archived. When an entire Package reaches 0 quantity, close it in Greenbits.
- Unless the inventory is transferred out or closed, you can manually change the status back to For Sale.
- Prevent Sales When Quantity Reaches 0 only affects SKUs, not Products.
- This setting reduces the chances of negative inventory quantities, but does not fully prevent negative inventory.
- For example, if a SKU has 1 unit on hand, the Register will not prevent a budtender from ringing up and selling more than 1 unit in a single transaction.
- Instead, the Register will allow the sale as normal, the quantity will drop to a negative number, and then Greenbits will automatically mark the SKU as Not For Sale.
- Learn more about preventing and investigating negative inventory.