Have you experienced any of the following issues while using Green Bits?
- The iPad will not display the on-screen keyboard, preventing you from typing anything.
- Your Socket Mobile scanner shows as Connected in the iPad Bluetooth settings, but not in the Green Bits app.
- Your Socket Mobile scanner seems to read the barcode, but the app doesn't recognize it, or you're having to tap the Add button every time before scanning.
- You are unable to scan customer IDs at the register.
All of these scenarios are related to the operating mode of the scanner. There are two primary modes:
HID mode is the factory default mode, and is designed to work with a wide variety of other devices. In this mode, the scanner interacts with your iPad or computer as if it were a keyboard and requires tapping or clicking a text field before scanning. All of the above scenarios are due to the scanner being in HID mode.
If you are setting up a Socket Mobile scanner for use with the Green Bits Back Office, such as for inventory intake purposes, creating new customers, checking customers in with the Customer Queue, or if you are performing an inventory audit, the scanner should be left in HID mode.
To set up a scanner in HID mode, use the steps in our Barcode Scanner Setup article, skipping step 4.
iOS mode is intended for use with apps designed for Apple iOS devices (iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch), including the Green Bits Register app.
Scanners set to iOS mode will not interrupt or override the iPad's on-screen keyboard, and will allow you to scan barcodes and QR codes without first tapping the Add button, which is the intended functionality.
The scanner's operating mode can only be changed when the scanner is not paired with a device.
- Un-pair the scanner by forgetting/removing it from the host device's Bluetooth settings.
- Delete the paired device memory from the scanner by pressing and holding both scanner buttons simultaneously until the scanner emits multiple beeps and automatically turns off.
To change from HID mode to iOS mode, scan the barcode below. Listen for multiple beeps. If you dont hear any, try scanning from different angles, and/or from 1-2 feet away.
To change from iOS mode to HID mode, scan the barcode below. Listen for multiple beeps. If you dont hear any, try scanning from different angles, and/or from 1-2 feet away. This barcode resets the device to factory defaults. When scanned successfully, the device will automatically turn off.
After scanning, re-pair the scanner with your iPad or computer.