Green Bits supports only the following iPad models:
The exact location of iPad settings may vary depending on your iOS version.
- 9.7” iPad Air 2
- 9.7” iPad Pro (1st generation)
- 9.7” iPad (5th generation)
- 9.7” iPad (6th generation)
- 10.2” iPad (7th generation)
Follow these iPad best practices for the best Register performance. If you're setting up an iPad for the first time, check out our Set up your iPad article.
- Turn off automatic updates
- Turn off Passcode and Touch ID/Face ID
- Turn off Auto-Brightness
- Turn off Keyboard Clicks
- Turn off Siri
- Don't require password for iTunes & App Store
- Don't add a payment method
- Don't save passwords
- Turn off iCloud Keychain
- Turn on Ask to Join Networks
- If using Wired Register Kit, turn off Wi-Fi
- Use cellular data only when needed
- Turn off sleep mode and turn off Auto-Lock
- Turn on iCloud backups
- Turn off keyboard shortcuts
- Turn off notifications
- Turn off multitasking features
- Turn off Background App Refresh
- Delete or hide other apps
Turn off automatic updates
Turn off automatic updates of your Register app and your iPad's OS, so you can update them outside of business hours.
To turn off automatic updates for the Register
- From your iPad's home screen, open Settings.
- Select iTunes & App Store.
- Turn off all Automatic Downloads.
To turn off automatic iOS updates
- Go to Settings > General > Software Update
- Select Automatic Updates.
- Tap the slider to turn it off. The slider moves to the left.
Update outside of business hours
Don't update your Register or OS until you receive an email from Green Bits with instructions. When you do, update outside of business hours.
Turn off Passcode and Touch ID/Face ID
You can turn off Passcodes and Touch ID/Face ID since your staff will use their own 4-digit PIN to access the Register app.
- Go to Settings > Touch ID/Face ID & Passcode.
- Toggle off Touch ID and Face ID.
- Tap Turn Passcode Off.
- Confirm your changes, and then enter your Passcode one last time.
Turn off Auto-Brightness
By default, your iPad will automatically adjust its screen brightness. To turn this setting off, go to Settings > General > Accessibility > Display Accommodations.
After you turn this off, you can manually change screen brightness. Swipe up from the bottom of the screen to access the Control Panel, and adjust the screen brightness slider.
Turn off Keyboard Clicks
If you don't want to hear keyboard clicks, go to Settings > Sounds and toggle off Keyboard Clicks.
Turn off Siri
If you don't want Siri to give recommendations on your Register go to Settings > Siri & Search and toggle off all Siri settings.
Don't require password for iTunes & App Store
If you want your staff to be able to update Green Bits, but don't want to give your staff the Apple ID, go to Settings > iTunes & App Store > Password Settings and toggle off Require Password under Free Downloads.
Don't add a payment method
You do not need to enter a payment method in your iPad settings for Green Bits. If you added a payment method and want to remove it for security, here's how to remove it.
- Go to Settings > Wallet & Apple Pay.
- Select your payment method.
- Scroll down and select Remove Card.
Don't save passwords
The iPad asks if you want to save login information the first time you sign into a website. If you accidentally save login information, here's how to remove it.
- Go to Settings > Accounts & Passwords > App & Website Passwords.
- Swipe left across the saved login to expose a Delete button on the right side.
- Select Delete.
Turn off iCloud Keychain
If you don't want Keychain to save your login and credit card info, here's how to turn it off.
- Go to Settings > Accounts & Passwords > iCloud > Keychain.
- Toggle it off.
Turn on Ask to Join Networks
To prevent your Register from switching networks, turn on the setting that requires the iPad to ask you before switching.
- Go to Settings > Wi-Fi.
- Scroll to the bottom and toggle on Ask to Join Networks.
If using a Wired Register kit, turn off Wi-Fi
With the Wired Register Kit, your iPad connects to the internet and to your other point of sale hardware via an Ethernet connection, so the Wi-Fi connection isn't needed.
- Go to Settings > Wi-Fi.
- Toggle off Wi-Fi at the top of the menu.
Use cellular data only when needed
If your iPad is equipped with a cellular data connection, turn it off until you need it:
- Go to Settings > Cellular.
- Toggle it off.
If you lose your internet connection for any reason, cellular data can be used as a temporary backup, however your iPad won't be able to connect to an Ethernet receipt printer, label printer, or scale when using cellular data.
Turn off sleep mode and turn off Auto-Lock
If you don't want your iPad to go into sleep mode after a specified period of time, turn off Auto-Lock.
- Go to Settings > Display & Brightness.
- Set Auto-Lock to Never.
Turn on iCloud backups
Green Bits stores your data securely in the cloud, not on the iPad, although backing up to iCloud can make the process of upgrading to new iPads easier.
- Go to Settings > Apple ID (tap your name, or the name associated with your Apple ID, at the top of the Settings menu) > iCloud > iCloud Backup.
- Turn it on.
Turn off keyboard shortcuts
Apple's keyboard shortcuts feature is not necessary or useful in the Green Bits Register app, and may block certain fields and buttons in the Register app interface. To turn off this feature, go to Settings > General > Keyboard and toggle off Shortcuts.
Turn off notifications
Prevent unnecessary distractions by disabling notifications and Siri Suggestions for all apps, under Settings > Notifications.
Turn off multitasking features
If you're using your iPad only as a Green Bits Register, you won't need any of the features listed under Settings > General > Multitasking & Dock. Toggle off all of these features.
Turn off Background App Refresh
This feature keeps apps running in the background so you can switch between multiple apps more quickly. It also uses extra processing power and decreases your battery life. Go to Settings > General > Background App Refresh to turn it off.
Delete or hide other apps
It's unlikely that you'll ever need to access any apps on your iPad other than:
- the Register app
- App Store (for app updates)
- a web browser (Safari is the iPad's default browser, though we recommend downloading Google Chrome, free from the App Store).
Apple allows you to delete most, but not all, of the other apps that come pre-loaded on your iPad. To keep your Home screen uncluttered, you can hide any remaining unused apps by putting them in a folder.