Green Bits supports iPad Air 2 or newer, with 9.7" screen only. Other screen sizes are not compatible. The exact location of iPad settings may vary depending on your iOS version.
Follow these iPad best practices for the best Register performance. If you're setting up an iPad for the first time, check out our Set up your iPad article.
Turn off automatic updates
Turn off automatic updates of your Register app and your iPad's OS, so you can update them outside of business hours.
To turn off automatic updates for the Register
- From your iPad's home screen, open Settings.
- Select iTunes & App Store.
- Turn off all Automatic Downloads.
To turn off automatic iOS updates
- Go to Settings > General > Software Update
- Select Automatic Updates.
- Tap the slider to turn it off. The slider moves to the left.
Update outside of business hours
Don't update your Register or OS until you receive an email from Green Bits with instructions. When you do, update outside of business hours.
Turn off Passcode and Touch ID/Face ID
You can turn off Passcodes and Touch ID/Face ID since your staff will use their own 4-digit PIN to access the Register app.
- Go to Settings > Touch ID/Face ID & Passcode.
- Toggle off Touch ID and Face ID.
- Tap Turn Passcode Off.
- Confirm your changes, and then enter your Passcode one last time.
Turn off Auto-Brightness
By default, your iPad will automatically adjust its screen brightness. To turn this setting off, go to Settings > General > Accessibility > Display Accommodations.
After you turn this off, you can manually change screen brightness. Swipe up from the bottom of the screen to access the Control Panel, and adjust the screen brightness slider.
Turn off Keyboard Clicks
If you don't want to hear keyboard clicks, go to Settings > Sounds and toggle off Keyboard Clicks.
Turn off Siri
If you don't want Siri to give recommendations on your Register go to Settings > Siri & Search and toggle off all Siri settings.
Don't require password for iTunes & App Store
If you want your staff to be able to update Green Bits, but don't want to give your staff the Apple ID, go to Settings > iTunes & App Store > Password Settings and toggle off Require Password under Free Downloads.
Don't add a payment method
You do not need to enter a payment method in your iPad settings for Green Bits. If you added a payment method and want to remove it for security, here's how to remove it.
- Go to Settings > Wallet & Apple Pay.
- Select your payment method.
- Scroll down and select Remove Card.
Don't save passwords
The iPad asks if you want to save login information the first time you sign into a website. If you accidentally save login information, here's how to remove it.
- Go to Settings > Accounts & Passwords > App & Website Passwords.
- Swipe left across the saved login to expose a Delete button on the right side.
- Select Delete.
Turn off iCloud Keychain
If you don't want Keychain to save your login and credit card info, here's how to turn it off.
- Go to Settings > Accounts & Passwords > iCloud > Keychain.
- Toggle it off.
Turn on Ask to Join Networks
To prevent your Register from switching networks, turn on the setting that requires the iPad to ask you before switching.
- Go to Settings > Wi-Fi.
- Scroll to the bottom and toggle on Ask to Join Networks.
If using a wired setup, turn off Wi-Fi
If your iPad connects to your printers and the Internet with an Ethernet cable, disable Wi-Fi to prevent hardware connection issues.
- Go to Settings > Wi-Fi.
- Toggle off Wi-Fi at the top of the menu.
Use cellular data only when needed
To prevent hardware connection issues, turn off cellular data while using Wi-Fi to connect your Register to the internet.
- Go to Settings > Cellular.
- Toggle it off.
If your Wi-Fi goes down, you made need to turn cellular data back on. You can do that from the same Settings menu, when needed.
Disable sleep mode and turn off Auto-Lock
If you don't want your iPad to go into sleep mode after a specified period of time, turn off Auto-Lock.
- Go to Settings > Display & Brightness.
- Set Auto-Lock to Never.
Turn on iCloud backups
Green Bits stores sensitive data securely in the cloud, not on the iPad, although backing up to iCloud can make the process of upgrading to new iPads easier.
- Go to Settings > Apple ID (tap your name, or the name associated with your Apple ID, at the top of the Settings menu) > iCloud > iCloud Backup.
- Turn it on.