Transaction limits, or the maximum amount of certain types of cannabis that a customer may purchase in a single visit, can vary greatly by state/jurisdiction, your store's retail license type, and by customer type.
Selling over the limit is a major compliance issue with potentially very serious consequences, which is why Green Bits is built with pre-programmed transaction limits which prevent budtenders from mistakenly selling over the limit in a single transaction.
Note: if your state also enforces time-based limits, such a limit on the amount an individual may purchase within a 24-hour period, refer to customer transaction history.
To ensure the appropriate limit is applied to each of your Products, it's important to make sure each Product Type is assigned to the correct Transaction Limit Type, that all of your unit-based Products have accurate weights, and that you've entered Test Results on all SKUs.
- Default Product Types and Transaction Limit Types
- Customizing Product Types
- Compliance warnings and permissions
Default Product Types and Transaction Limit Types
When your Green Bits account is first activated, the most common product types are already pre-loaded for you, and each is assigned to the appropriate transaction limit type. These default Product Types vary by state, but the most common ones include:
- Edible (Solid)
- Edible (Liquid)
If you edit the default Product Types or add your own custom Product Types, pay close attention to the Transaction Limit Type field to ensure your sales remain compliant.
Customizing Product Types
Navigate to Inventory > Product Types, then select an existing Product Type to edit, or create a new one by selecting + Add Product Type.
- Enter a Name for this Product Type.
- Assign a Color. This is for visual/organizational purposes only.
- Designate whether this Product Type Is Marijuana. Choose Yes if these products are tracked in your state traceability system and have a package ID or lot number associated with them. Choose No for general, un-tracked merchandise. Choosing No will also remove the Transaction Limit Type field.
- Select the appropriate Transaction Limit Type. To view the state-specific details of each limit type, select the ? box.
Save the new Product Type, and assign the appropriate products to it. When you sell these products at the Register, they will be automatically be limited to the appropriate amounts based on the Transaction Limit Type you've set.
Compliance warnings and permissions
When a user attempts to sell product in excess of any transaction limit, the register displays a compliance warning. In this example, a budtender is trying to sell 28.35 grams of flower, which is more than the 1-ounce transaction limit. Upon tapping the Charge button, the following warning is displayed:
If the budtender taps Ignore & Continue, the app will require the PIN of a user who has permission to perform this action.
Permission to override and bypass this warning is controlled by Skip sales warning. This permission can be enabled or disabled on the Roles page, in the Make Sales section: