Every state has strict regulations around age limitations. The consequences of accidentally selling to a minor range from high fees to losing your license.
State regulators at any time could send an underage person into your store to use their real ID to attempt to purchase cannabis. In each of these "minor decoy" operations, these minors are required not to lie when asked about their age. The main reason dispensaries fail this test is not due to failing to ask for ID. Budtenders are asking for these customer IDs – they just aren’t reading them correctly.
Greenbits offers a measure of protection against this. Enable Verify Customer Age At Purchase Time to streamline the check-in process and require budtenders to verify each customer's age before they can complete a sale.
Note: Greenbits cannot detect fake or expired IDs. This feature only checks the date of birth encoded in the barcode on the ID. Your staff should still carefully inspect each customer's ID and remember to check the expiration date.
- Turn on age Verification
- How it works at the Register
- Scan all IDs at time of purchase
- Scan an ID to create a new customer profile
Turn on age Verification
How it works at the Register
With this setting enabled, budtenders will not be able to make a sale until they enter a valid birthdate, scan an ID, or assign an already-verified customer.
To verify age at the Register:
- At the end of the transaction, the Charge button will appear grey and can't be selected.
- Tap the green Verify Age button. Scan the barcode on the back of the customer's ID.
- Select Charge and complete the transaction.
Note: Greenbits does not automatically save any customer information from a scanned ID unless you create a new customer profile (see below).
Scan all IDs at time of purchase
On most IDs, date of birth and other personal details are encoded on the 2D barcode, while while the driver's license number is encoded on a 1D barcode. Scan the 2D barcode to verify age.
To require budtenders to scan IDs at the time of purchase:
- Go to the Settings gear in the Back Office.
- Select Roles.
- Choose a role.
- Next to Make Sales, select Advanced.
- Un-check the box next to Manually verify age. This will disable the ability to enter a birthdate manually and will force budtenders to scan the ID instead, eliminating the possibility of entry errors and providing an additional measure of accountability.
- Select Save.
Scan an ID to create a new customer profile
When you add a new customer or patient in the Register app, instead of typing in the customer's information, you can scan their ID to automatically enter their first name, last name, and date of birth.
Make sure your admin enabled Verify Customer Age At Purchase Time and that your scanner is in iOS mode.
Go to the next Article: