You can use two settings to help keep your budtenders from selling to minors: turn on Verify Customer Age at Purchase Time and turn off Manually Verify Age.
State regulators can send an underage person into your store to use their real ID to attempt to purchase cannabis. In these "minor decoy" operations, these minors cannot lie about their age. The main reason dispensaries fail is not because they didn't ask for ID. They fail because they aren’t reading IDs correctly. The consequences of selling to a minor range from high fees to losing your license.
Note: Greenbits cannot detect fake IDs. This feature only checks the date of birth encoded in the barcode on the ID. Your staff should still carefully inspect each customer's ID and remember to check the expiration date.
Turn on Verify Customer Age at Purchase Time
When you turn on Verify Customer Age At Purchase Time, the Charge button will not be usable until your budtender verifies the age of the customer.
- Go to the Settings gear in the Back Office.
- Check the box next to Verify Customer Age At Purchase Time.
- Restart the Register app.
You will see a Verify Age button on the Register when you check customers out.
Turn off Manually Verify Age
When you turn off Manually Verify Age, budtenders will not be able to enter a birthdate manually, so they will have to scan the ID instead.
How it works at the Register
When you use both of these settings together, budtenders will not be able to make a sale until they scan an ID with their barcode scanner.
To verify age at the Register:
- At the end of the transaction, the Charge button will appear grey and can't be selected.
- Tap the Verify Age button.
- Scan the barcode on the back of the customer's ID. Scan the 2D barcode to verify age:
- Select Charge and complete the transaction.