Most state traceability systems use package IDs or lot numbers to track specific inventory from a specific manifest/shipment. Package IDs and lot numbers may carry an arbitrary name specified by the producer / cultivator.
Products allow you to create a consistent naming convention, control how inventory appears in your system, and keep it organized, rather than having to keep track of and manage individual packages or lots.
Once you've created a product, you can assign as many packages or lots to it is as necessary, and continue to assign new inventory in the future, so that you don't have to re-enter basic details such as name, description, strain, brand, and pricing for each new package or lot. New products can be created in three different places within the Back Office:
Tip: develop and follow a consistent product naming convention to make inventory management easier.
In this example, we're creating 1-gram pre-rolls of OG Kush.
- Select Pre-Roll as the Product Type
- Set Unit Of Measure to units, since our pre-rolls will be pre-packaged and sold in units/"each". For items sold by weight such as bulk flower, select from grams, ounces, pounds, milligrams, or kilograms. Note: Unit of Measure cannot be changed once the new product is saved. This option is not displayed for non-marijuana products, which are automatically considered unit-based, nor is it displayed for Washington stores, where all retail marijuana is unit-based per state regulations.
- Enter a Name for your product. This is the name that will be shown in Back Office and in the register interface, and will also print on barcode labels and customer receipts.
- Optionally, add a Supplier, Brand, and Description.
- Enter pricing details
- Pricing Strategy - Simple (fixed price per unit) or Tiered.
- Price At Register - With simple pricing, select this option to have the register app prompt the budtender to enter a price.
- Base Price and Price With Tax - Enter your desired base price (price before tax) and the price with tax will automatically populate based on the tax rates associated with the assigned Product Type. The total tax and applicable tax types will be listed below for your reference. Alternatively, enter the price with tax first, and the appropriate base price will also populate automatically.
- Discounts - By default, all products can be discounted. If you want to prevent budtenders from applying discounts to any product, simply un-check this box.
- Weight - If you set the Unit of Measure to units, enter the weight of each unit here. If you're creating a product sold by weight, this field will not appear, and the budtender will enter the weight for each sale at the register or Weigh Station.
- Strain - As applicable, enter a strain name here. The strain name will be included on package labels printed from Back Office, at the register, or at the Weigh Station.
- Flower Type - Optionally, assign a flower type of Indica, Sativa, Hybrid, Indica Hybrid, or Sativa Hybrid.
- Test Results - Optionally, enter approximate THC and CBD percentages here. These percentages are used for internal organization purposes, and for menu feed integrations. Because test results may vary between packages/lots of the same product, the test results shown on package labels should be entered individually at the package/lot level once you've assigned inventory to this product.
- Tags - This is an additional, open-ended way of categorizing your products. In this example, we've tagged this pre-roll "2 for 20" for a special "2 pre-rolls for $20" promotion, so we can then create a discount that can only be applied to products with this tag.
- Internal Notes - Open-ended and optional, add any internal notes for your employees here.
- Quantity - Currenty 0 because we haven't assigned any inventory to this product yet. Once you assign packages or lots to this product, the total quantity of all packages/lots will be shown here.
- Reorder Notification - Optionally, enter a minimum quantity threshold here. In this example, we'll receive an email notification any time this product's total quantity drops below 5 units.
Before you can sell this new product at the register, you must first receive inventory and assign it to the product. See the links below for state-specific instructions:
- Receiving Inventory (Alaska, Colorado, and Oregon)
- Receiving Inventory (Washington)
- Receiving Inventory (California and Nevada)
If the product you've just created is a non-marijuana item, consult the article below (all states):
You may delete a product only if it has no inventory (SKUs, package IDs, or lot numbers) associated with it by simply clicking the Delete button.