The Weigh Station consists of a standalone scale, label printer, and tablet. It’s designed to let you quickly weigh products and print package labels that can be scanned at the point of sale.
In this article you'll connect your Weigh Station hardware, configure your scale, and print your first label.
Before you set up
- Turn on the Android tablet and follow the on-screen prompts to set it up and connect it to your Wi-Fi network.
- Make sure you have all Weigh Station hardware (see below).
- You will need at least three open nearby power outlets (four recommended).
Checklist of Weigh Station hardware
- Barcode Label Printer (Zebra ZD410 or Zebra LP 2824), its power cord, and its USB 2.0 Hi-speed A to B Device Cable.
- 2.25" by 4" thermal labels.
- A&D, Citizen, Ohaus, or Radwag scale, and its power cord.
- LAVA SimulCharge USB Adapter (TL-002).
- C2G 4-Port USB 2.0 hub, its AC Adaptor power cord, and mini USB connector.
- Blue/silver serial-to-USB cable (CTG-26886) included with C2G USB 2.0 hub.
- RS232 Black serial cable (#25216) — Please note: we will send this separately with your Weigh Station kit. Do not use the serial cable that came with your scale, which will prevent your scale from connecting.
- Android tablet and power cord with charger, fully charged.
You will need each of these parts to set up your Weigh Station. If you are missing any of these parts, please reach out to email@example.com.
Setting up the Weigh Station
1. Don’t connect anything yet! Disconnect any power cords you may have already connected.
2. Open Google Play Store on the tablet. Search for and download the Green Bits Weigh Station app.
3. Open the Weigh Station app. You'll be prompted to enter your device code, which links the Weigh Station app to your Back Office and loads your weight-based inventory.
To find your device code, log in to Back Office and go to the Devices page. Press the “Link New Device” button on the upper right. Name your Weigh Station, click “Save”, and you'll be given a device code. Enter that code into the Weigh Station App and Press “Link”.
4. Connect the LAVA Simulcharge USB Adapter to the tablet, as pictured below.
5. Connect the C2G 4-Port USB 2.0 hub to the LAVA SimulCharge USB Adapter. Plug in the SimulCharge to its AC adaptor.
6. Connect the LAVA SimulCharge USB Adapter to an outlet with the charger that came with your Samsung tablet. This should remain connected to power at all times.
7. Connect your scale to power and turn it on. Next, connect the provided RS232 Black serial cable (#25216) to the blue and silver cable (CTG-26886). Then connect the other side of your Blue/silver serial-to-USB cable to the C2G USB hub. Finally, connect the other side of the RS232 black cable to the RS232-C port on the back of the scale.
8. Plug in the Zebra label printer with its power cord, add 2.25 x 4" labels and connect the label printer to the included USB 2.0 Hi-Speed A to B Device Cable. Connect that USB cable directly to the C2G 4-port USB hub.
9. Open the Weigh Station Tap the gear icon in the top right of the Weigh Station app.
10. Tap Add New Hardware at the bottom left, then tap Printer. Select “USB” if connecting your label printer via the C2G USB hub pictured above. Otherwise, select “Network” if connecting your printer via Ethernet to your router or a network switch, or Bluetooth if connecting the printer wirelessly to the tablet via Bluetooth pairing.
If you're using a network connection for your printer, make sure the printer and your tablet are connected to the same network. If using a Bluetooth connection, your printer will show up automatically if it is turned on and in range, and will be identified by its serial number.
11. Select “Print Test”, verify that a test label has printed, then tap “Finish Adding”.
12. Configure the scale to communicate with the Weigh Station app.
The most common scale model is the A&D FX series (FX-300i, FX-300iN, FX1200i). To configure this model:
- Hold down the “Sample” button until it says “bASFnc”.
- Tap the “Sample” button four times until it says “dout”.
- Press the “Print” button once, then tap the “Re-Zero” button until it says “Prt 3”.
- Press the “Print” button. It will say “end” and then change to “5iF”. Turn the scale off and back on.
To configure the A&D EK series, click here.
13. Once the scale is configured, we're ready to connect it to the Weigh Station app. Back on the Manage hardware screen in the app, tap “Add New Hardware”, select “Scale”, and then “USB”. When you see "Prolific Technology Inc. -USB Serial Controller D", tap the arrow to expand. Your default scale Manufacturer, Transmission Rate (Baud Rate), and Data Parity will auto-populate. Tap “Choose”.
14. Place an object on the scale and verify that the weight reading on the scale automatically shows up on the tablet. Tap “Finish Adding Scale”.
15. Tap "Finish Configuration" at the bottom to return to the Weigh Station screen.
Using the Weigh Station
1. On the Weigh Station screen, tap the "Add to Menu" button on the lower right.
2. Scroll or search to find products to add to your menu. You can add or remove products at any time.
Note: this is a list of all weight-based products that you have marked For Sale in your Back Office. You can mark products For Sale or Not for Sale from your Back Office Inventory page. Unit-based items will not be displayed in the Weigh Station.
3. Select the appropriate Package Number/SKU that you’re weighing.
4. The item you've just selected will now show up as a Flower Tile on the Products screen. You can edit, move, or delete these buttons by tapping the pencil icon near the top right. Tap, hold, and drag tiles to move them. Deleting a tile only removes the tile from this screen, and does not remove the product from your inventory. When finished editing, tap the Checkmark icon.
5. Click on the Flower Tile for the product you’re weighing.
6. Place the flower on the scale. You’ll see the weight on the app change from 0g to the weight on the scale’s screen.
7. Tap “Print Label”. The printer will generate a package label based on your template (if applicable) and the testing & package information entered for that product on Green Bits.
You can enter this information in your Back Office by finding the product, scrolling down to its package ID, and clicking Actions > Edit.
Note: Weighing product and printing a label from the Weigh Station does not affect inventory quantities. The quantity on hand is updated only after the label is scanned and the transaction is completed at the register.
Options and tips
When weighing a product, the package ID or SKU will be displayed just below the product name. To weigh from a different package ID or SKU, tap "Change Inventory".
The currently selected package/SKU will be highlighted in yellow. Tap any other available package/SKU to change it.
If you experience technical issues with your scale, or you're using a scale that is not connected to the Weigh Station app, tap "Enter Weight Manually".
When entering weight manually, tap the downward-pointing triangle to change the unit of measurement.
If you've recently added inventory that is not displaying in the Weigh Station app, tap the gear icon near the upper right to access the "Manage hardware" screen. Tap (1) "SAMSUNG SM-T350" (your exact model may vary), then (2) "Sync" near the lower right. This refreshes the app and and pulls in any new or updated inventory information from your Back Office.
You can add products to your Weigh Station menu even if there is no current stock available by tapping "Add Without Inventory". New inventory will be displayed for these products once you accept new packages/SKUs in the Back Office.
Pre-load your most commonly sold flower on the Weigh Station for quick access. The Weigh Station can also weigh and print labels while offline, but only for pre-loaded flower varieties, so adding them ahead of time is recommended.