The Weigh Station consists of a stand-alone scale, label printer, and Android tablet. It’s designed to expedite the sales process by allowing you to quickly weigh flower and print package labels that can later be scanned at the point of sale.
Follow the steps below to connect and configure the Weigh Station hardware.
Note: the Weigh Station is supported only in Alaska, Colorado, and Oregon.
- Zebra ZD410 or LP 2824 label printer, along with its included power cord
- USB 2.0 Hi-speed A to B Device Cable
- 2.25" by 4" thermal labels
- A&D FX- or EK-series scale
- LAVA SimulCharge USB Adapter
- C2G 4-Port USB 2.0 hub, its AC adapter, and mini-USB cable
- Blue/silver serial-to-USB cable (CTG-26886)
- RS232 serial cable (use only the cable provided by Green Bits)
- Android tablet and micro-USB charging cable
Before you begin
- Configure your scale for use with the Weigh Station:
- Turn on the Android tablet and follow the on-screen prompts to set it up and connect it to your Wi-Fi network.
- Go to Settings > Connections and disable both Bluetooth and Location. These features aren't necessary for the Weigh Station, and turning them off will help reduce power demand and could help prolong the life of the SimulCharge adapter.
- Confirm you have at least three open power outlets nearby. A power strip is also acceptable.
Setting up the Weigh Station
1. Open the Play Store on your tablet. Search for and download the Green Bits Weigh Station app.
2. Log in to Back Office and select the Settings gear, then Devices. Select Link New Device. Enter a name for your Weigh Station, save, and then you'll be given a device code.
3. Open the Weigh Station app. You'll be prompted to enter your device code from step 2, which links the Weigh Station app to your Back Office and begins loading your inventory.
The Weigh Station only loads inventory that is weight-based and marked For Sale.
4. Connect the LAVA Simulcharge USB Adapter to the tablet, as pictured below.
5. Use the included mini-USB cable to connect the LAVA SimulCharge USB Adapter to the mini-USB port on the back of the C2G 4-Port USB 2.0 hub.
Connect the C2G USB hub to power using the included AC adapter.
6. Connect the LAVA SimulCharge USB Adapter to an outlet using the charging cable that came with your Android tablet, or any other micro-USB charging cable.
7. As shown below, connect your scale to the C2G USB hub using the provided black RS232 serial cable and the blue and silver serial-to-USB adapter cable.
Use only the serial cable provided in your Weigh Station hardware kit. The Weigh Station is not compatible with other serial cables.
8. Connect your Zebra label printer to power and turn it on. Load 2.25" x 4" labels, and connect the square (USB-B) end of the USB A-to-B cable to the corresponding port on the label printer. Connect the rectangular (USB-A) end to the C2G USB hub.
9. In the Weigh Station app, tap the Settings gear.
10. Tap Add New Hardware at the bottom left.
11. Tap Printer.
12. Select USB. Alternatively you may use a Network (Wi-Fi) or Bluetooth connection, though USB is recommended.
13. You should see a Zebra Technologies device listed. Tap Choose.
14. Select Print Test.
A successful test print looks like this:
After successfully test printing, select Finish Adding Printer.
15. Once again, tap Add New Hardware. Select Scale, and then USB.
16. When you see Prolific Technology Inc. -USB Serial Controller D, tap the downward arrow to expand. Confirm that the appropriate settings below have been automatically selected:
- Manufacturer: A&D
- Transmission Rate: 2400
- Data Parity: Even 7
17. Place an object on the scale and verify that the weight reading on the scale automatically displays on the tablet.
If the weight is not displayed on the tablet, press the Print button on the scale. If the weight is displayed on the tablet only after pressing the Print button on the scale, this indicates the scale is not configured correctly. Repeat these steps.
If you see "No Data," confirm all cables are securely connected, then go back to step 15 and repeat the steps for adding the scale.
18. Tap Finish Adding Scale, then Finish Configuration.