The Integrated Scale is an add-on to the standard Green Bits Register kit that connects your scale to the point of sale, saving time and improving accuracy by eliminating the need for budtenders to manually enter flower weights when ringing up a sale.
Follow the steps below to connect and configure the Integrated Scale hardware.
Note: the Integrated Scale is not NTEP-certified and therefore is not supported for the Maryland market.
- Zebra ZD410 or LP 2824 label printer with Ethernet port (LP 2824 shown)
- Power cord for label printer
- 2.25" by 4" thermal labels
- A&D FX- or EK-series scale** (FX1200i shown)
- Power cord for scale
- Lantronix 2-Port Ethernet Device Server (UDS2100)
- Power cord for Lantronix
- Router, or network switch connected to your router, with at least three available Ethernet ports and at least four CAT5 Ethernet cables
- iPad with Lightning port. Older iPad models with a 30-pin port are not supported.
- Lightning-to-USB adapter
- USB-to-Ethernet adapter
- 3-ft. RS232 serial cable (use only the cable provided by Green Bits)
**Check with your local regulators to confirm whether a specific scale model is required
Before you begin
- Configure your scale for use with Green Bits:
- Disable Wi-Fi in your iPad settings. The Green Bits Register with Integrated Scale uses Ethernet cables to connect to your network and to the Internet. Using Wi-Fi and Ethernet connection simultaneously may cause interference and hardware disconnections
- Allow access to USB accessories in your iPad settings.
- Confirm you have at least three available Ethernet ports on your router or network switch
- If using a network switch, ensure that it is directly connected to one of the input ports on your router
- Confirm that your router or network switch is close enough to the printer that your Ethernet cords can reach, and be sure you can physically access your router
- Identify at least four available power outlets near your point of sale. A power strip is also acceptable
Connect the label printer
Use an Ethernet cable to connect the label printer to the router or network switch. Connect the printer to a power outlet and turn the printer on (ZD410: power button on top; LP 2824: switch on right side).
Connect the scale
Connect the scale and Lantronix Serial Adapter to power outlets. Use the included RS232 serial cable to connect the scale one of the serial ports on the Lantronix adapter.
Do not use the cables provided with the Lantronix adapter or scale. These are not compatible with Green Bits. Use the serial cable that was supplied with your Integrated Scale hardware kit.
Connect the Lantronix adapter to your router or network switch with an Ethernet cable.
Connect the iPad
As shown below, connect the Lightning-to-USB adapter to the iPad. This adapter allows for simultaneous data transmission and battery charging. Connect the small end of your iPad's "Lightning" charging cable to the adapter, and the large end to a wall outlet or USB charging port.
Next, connect the USB-to-Ethernet adapter to the USB port on the adapter from the previous step.
Finally, connect an Ethernet cable from the Ethernet adapter to your router or network switch.
Connect the label printer in Green Bits
Exit the iPad Settings and open the Green Bits app. Tap the menu icon (or the Settings gear if starting from the PIN screen), then select Settings > Label Printer.
The label printer should appear here automatically, identified by its serial number on the left, and its IP address on the right. Tap to select the printer, and make sure a check mark appears on the right side, indicating successful connection. Tap Test Print to confirm.
Tap Settings to go back to the previous menu.
Connect the scale in Green Bits
From the Green Bits Settings menu, tap Scale. You will see Serial Ports 1 and 2 listed. Tap to select the appropriate port, depending on which port you connected your scale to.
The weight reading from your scale will now be automatically displayed on the Register, and setup is now complete!