What's in the box?
- MagTek 21040145 SureSwipe Reader with built-in 6' USB Cable
- Installation disk for Windows machine
- MagTek Manual
What does it swipe?
- Arizona Medical Marijuana Cards
What can the Magtek be connected to?
The Magtek connects to a laptop or desktop computer.
Keep In Mind
- Plug the card reader directly into the computer. Plugging the reader into a Keyboard or USB hub may prevent the reader from being used as a keyboard. Switch ports and restart the computer if needed.
- Try to swipe multiple cards. Cards that are damaged will display red lights after being swiped or may not scan.
How do I Install the MagTek SureSwipe (Windows)?
Important: Scans will be corrupted if the keyboard on your computer is used at the same time as you swipe a card on the Magtek.
Depending on the version of Windows you're using, you may require a few more setup steps. If this is the case, reach out and let us know.
- Connect the USB cable to a USB port on your computer.
- The first time the device is plugged in, follow the instructions on the screen.
- You will be guided you through the process of installing a device driver so that Windows can recognize the device. Follow the guide on the screen.
- If Windows prompts for the file locations, insert the CD that was used to install Windows on your PC and point Windows to the root directory of the CD.
How do I install the MagTek SureSwipe (Mac)
First, set the card reader keyboard type
Depending on the version of the Mac OS you are running, you may need additional steps for setup.
- Click on the Apple on the Apple Task Bar (top left Apple icon).
- Click System Preferences.
- Choose "Change Keyboard Type..."
- The keyboard Assistant window will display. Select "Continue".
- Press "Z" on your keyboard.
- A box will display that says your keyboard cannot be identified. Select "Skip" here.
- After you skip the auto detection. Choose "ANSI (United States and others)". Then press "Done".
How do I Scan?
- After the reader has been installed, the Magtek's LED lights will be green. The card will only scan when the LED light is green.
- Go to the Customer tab on Green Bits.
- Scan the ID to search for the patient. If the patient doesn't exist, create a new one.
- Scan the ID again while creating or viewing the patient and more information from the ID will populate the patient's profile.
- If the ID fails Age Verification because it has expired or is underage an alert will be shown on Back Office.
Tip: When a card is being swiped, the LED will turn off temporarily until the swipe is completed. If there are no errors after swiping the card, the LED will turn green. If there are any errors after swiping, the LED will turn red for approximately two seconds to indicate that an error occurred and then turn green.
Troubleshooting the MagTek 21040145 SureSwipe Reader
Issue: I swiped the card but the patient details didn't populate.
How to Troubleshoot
- Check your browser. We recommend using the latest version of Chrome.
- If you have ad blockers or extensions installed on chrome, disable the extensions and try swiping again.
Issue: Card swiper is not reading the card.
The light is red.
There is no light.
How to Troubleshoot
- Connect the USB card swiper to the computer.
- Open any word processor (Word, Google Doc, Notepad, etc)
- Place your cursor in the document and then swipe the medical ID card.
- The swiper will read the information on the card and place it in the doc.
- Try swiping in the back office again.
- If the reader is not lighting up after swipes, try a different port.
Issue: Only part of the information is displaying when I scan.
How to Troubleshoot
- Card reader cleaning cards are designed to clean credit card swipers, but if you don't have one of those handy a q-tip and a small amount of rubbing alcohol will do.
- Gently swipe the card cleaner or q-tip across the reader.
- Try swiping the card again.
- If the card still isn't swiping, try the card reader in a different USB port.