The least you need to know
- All transfers are managed in Metrc. (i.e returns to vendors, transfers to other stores, transfers to other facilities for processing)
- Before transferring packages in Metrc, mark them Unsellable in the Back Office.
- If one or more sales are made out of a package before you transfer it to another license, split the remaining quantity off to a new package. This way, you will have a package available on your license if the customer returns the product.
- While it is possible to create splits in Metrc, it's imperative that Green Bits customers create split packages in the Back Office to avoid quantity discrepancies and reporting failures.
- The way split packages appear in the Back Office will be different, depending on where you created the split – either the Back Office or Metrc.
- Packages are transferred away from your license after business hours and will match Metrc by 5 am PT on the following day.
- Before transferring packages in Metrc, mark them unsellable in the Back Office. (We listed this twice because it’s pretty important)
How do I create split packages in the Back Office before I create a transfer in Metrc? What happens when I split packages in the Back Office?
When you create splits for transfers in the Back Office, you’re in for a pretty seamless experience. Here are the steps to take:
- Mark the original package unsellable on each product you’ve associated it with. If you aren’t sure, you can see all that information by locating the package on the packages screen and choosing Adjust Quantity from the action menu. The packages must be associated with at least one product.
- Next, you’ll go to the packages screen, locate the original package, choose “Split for Return or Transfer” from the action menu and split the intended quantity over to your destination package. The package tag must be active in Metrc.
Detailed instructions on how to create splits
- The Back Office will send the information to Metrc within the next 15-20 minutes
- Log into Metrc, locate the destination package, and transfer it to the intended license
- Wait until the next day, 5AM PST, and you’ll see that the package you created has been transferred off of your license in the Back Office.**
I didn’t know I was supposed to split packages in the Back Office, so I split them in Metrc instead. Now what?
After you split a package in Metrc, next transfer the split package to the destination license (in Metrc). This will trigger an incoming manifest in your Accepted (Unassigned) folder in the Back Office that lists your store as the vendor. This manifest isn’t real. You don’t want these packages and you aren’t the vendor, but because you made the split in Metrc, the Back Office API is a little confused and needs to be caught up on what’s happened. Here are the steps to take:
- Associate each package with a product (may we suggest a product called “fake-out transfer product” for just such an occasion?) By doing this you’re providing our API a needed piece of data.
- The packages will be transferred from your license by 5 am PST the following day as long as the package is associated with a product.**
I don’t want to create a split. I’m sending the entire original package over to another license
Well, that’s easy! Take these 3 steps and you’re done (Keep in mind that Metrc and most states recommend splitting packages before returning them as a best practice):
- Mark the original package unsellable on each product you’ve associated it with. If you aren’t sure, you can see all that information by locating the package on the packages screen and choosing Adjust Quantity from the action menu.
- Create the transfer in Metrc.
- Wait until the next day, 5AM PST, and you’ll see that the packages have been transferred off of your license in the Back Office**
** It’s a good idea to transfer packages toward the end of the day because the next best action is no action at all. If someone on the team makes an adjustment or sell on the package that takes it below the split amount, that may cause a reporting failure. If the package hasn’t transferred out by the morning, reach out to Support for help. 877-420-7520 or firstname.lastname@example.org
keywords: splits, returns, return