If you have been recently licensed by your state authorities and have just obtained your Metrc login credentials for the first time, see FAQ: Metrc Migration Process instead.
To connect Green Bits to your Metrc account, add your license number and API key to the Traceability page. Your Metrc API key is like a password that allows Green Bits to access and sync with your Metrc account.
Metrc API keys are user-specific, rather than location-specific. If your company has multiple retail locations, see Important notes for multi-location companies.
Connect Metrc and Green Bits
What to do in Metrc
- In Metrc, verify that you have the correct permissions.
If you don't have the correct permissions in Metrc and you complete this procedure, your account will fail to report correctly and you will be out of compliance.
- Select your user profile > API Keys.
- Select Generate.
- Copy the entire API key from the Current API Key field.
Remember, an API key is like a password. Do not print, write down, or share your API key.
What to do in Green Bits
- In Green Bits Back Office, select the Settings gear.
- Select Traceability.
- Enter the license number that you received from the state when your license was approved.
- Paste your API key.
- Select Save Traceability Settings.
For stores that have multiple locations:
- If you have access to your license in Metrc for multiple locations, complete these steps for each location in Green Bits using the same API key.
- If you do not have access to your license in Metrc for your other locations, have the person with access complete all of the steps in this procedure, using a different API key for each location in Green Bits.
Once you connect your account, Green Bits automatically reports to Metrc according to your state's requirements, so sales might not appear on your Metrc account immediately.
Why you may need to update your API key
Your Metrc credentials were entered when you implemented Green Bits or when you first received your Metrc credentials. Normally, you will not need to enter another API key unless:
- The user who originally generated the API key is deleted/deactivated in Metrc, or their sales reporting permissions in Metrc are removed.
- The user who originally generated the API key no longer has access in Metrc for this location/license.
- Metrc user name changes.
- Metrc may, at their discretion, occasionally invalidate API keys as a security measure.
- You see a "We've stopped syncing with the state" error message in Back Office. This usually indicates one of the above scenarios. If this error message persists after updating your API key, contact Green Bits Support for further assistance.
If your API key needs to be updated, you will not be able to do the following until you update it:
- Receive new inventory into Green Bits
- Report sales to Metrc
- Report any inventory adjustments, package merges, or package splits to Metrc
You will still be able to make sales and inventory adjustments in Green Bits, but they will not report to Metrc. Once you add a valid API key into Green Bits, any unreported sales or inventory actions then automatically report to Metrc.
Important notes for multi-location companies
You may need to enter the same API key into Green Bits for multiple locations.
The API key is user-specific, rather than location-specific or license-specific. This means the same API key is valid for any and all locations/licenses that a user has access to in Metrc.
For example, if you are the admin for multiple stores, generating a new API key for one location also updates the API key in Metrc for all locations that you have access to. Update all locations you administer with the same API key.
Conversely, if you are with a multi-location chain, but you only have Metrc access for one location, any API key you generate is valid only for that one location. If you update your API key, update it for the one location only.