A user is any person who has access to your account, either via the Green Bits Register app and/or the Back Office. User profiles should be created for your employees, as well as any trusted third parties, such as an accountant, an IT consultant, a business partner or investor, or anyone else you wish to grant access to your Green Bits account.
Before creating users, be sure to set up appropriate Roles and permissions.
Next, click + Add User at the top right.
Fill in each of the following:
- Username - this will be the new user's primary login for Back Office (if you choose to grant them access to Back Office) and can also be used to sign in to the register.
- First and Last Name - this will be shown in the register app and in Back Office, but is not customer-facing and does not appear on receipts.
- Email - certain reports in Green Bits are emailed to the user who requested them, which is the primary use for this email address, as well as certain automated inventory notifications (from which a user may opt out). The email address is also used for password verification, and can be used as an alternate way to log in to Back Office or the register.
- Password - the password that the user will use to log in to Back Office. This can also be used at the register. Once created, the user may change their own password.
- Role - set the appropriate role/access level for this user. See our Roles and Permissions article for more details.
- Pin - after you save this new user, the system will assign a random 4-digit Pin for the user, which is the primary way to sign into the register.
- Accessible Locations - If you have multiple locations, check the appropriate boxes for the locations this user should be able to access. Users must have access to at least one location. Users with access to multiple locations can access each location using the same username, password, and Pin.
To edit a user profile, click the pencil icon on the far right.
If editing your own user profile, this will take you to the Account Settings page where you can update your username, first name/last name, email, password, or Pin. In order to save any changes, enter your Current Password before clicking Save.
If you have Edit Users permissions, you can also edit other users including their Role and Accessible Locations. Regardless of your permissions, you cannot change your own Role or Locations; ask another user with Edit Users permissions to make these changes for you.
If editing another user, entering the Current Password is not required.
To change a user's PIN (the 4-digit code used to sign in to the register), click the regenerate button on the right. The field will change to "A new pin will be generated..." Click Save, and the new PIN will be shown back on the Users list.
Deleting users and removing access
While you do have the option to fully delete a user (by clicking the trash can icon on the far right of the Users page), deleting a user will also delete reporting data associated with that user.
For this reason, in most cases we recommend creating a new Role for "Former Employees", for instance, with no permissions. This way you can prevent certain users such as terminated employees from accessing Green Bits without losing associated reporting data. Once you've created this new Role, edit the user profile and change the Role accordingly.