If your state has regulations against giving away free products or selling below the cost of acquisition of your products, even a small mistake can have big consequences.
When you use the Below Cost Warning, a warning will display at the Register if your selling price is less than the cost you paid for the item. You can set your permissions so only managers can override this warning.
Enable the Below Cost Warning in Settings > Store Options.
How does the Below Cost Sales Warning work?
Here are two example of when the Below Cost Sales Warning will prevent you from selling below cost:
- Let's say you paid $11.38 per gram from the vendor, and then you set inclusive tax price of $15. This brings your base price to $10.24.
- Let's say you paid $11.38 per gram from the vendor, and you set the selling price at $20.00. If your team applies a 50% discount to this item, it brings the cost down to $10.
Always enter the Wholesale Cost on every item
The Below Cost Sales Warning works based on the cost you enter when you create Products. Check to make sure all of your Products have a cost:
Prevent Budtenders from Skipping the Sales Warning
By default, if a Below Cost Warning appears on the register, your budtenders and supervisors will be given the option to skip these warnings and continue the sales. If you only want supervisors to do this (and not budtenders), turn off the Skip Sales Warning permission:
- Go to Settings > User Roles and open your Budtender role.
- Under Make Sales, select Advanced.
- Uncheck the option for Skip Sales Warning.
Now, when a budtender gets a Below Cost Sales Warning, they cannot override it. A manager will have to enter their pin to override it.