If your store offers gift cards or gift certificates, first be sure to enable Gift Cards in Back Office, then refer to the steps below to set up and sell a gift card.
Note: Green Bits does not support electronic gift card processing or liabilities reporting.
Create a Product for gift cards
In order to sell a gift card at the register, we'll need to create a Product for it:
- Create a new Product Type specifically for gift cards, and make it non-marijuana and non-taxable.
- Go to Inventory > Products, then select + Add Product.
- Set Unit of Measure to units.
- Add a name and any other desired information in the Details tab, then select the Pricing tab.
- Select Price At Register, so customers can specify how much they want to add to a gift card at the time of purchase.
- Select Save.
Add a SKU and inventory
Follow this process to create a SKU and add quantity to your gift card Product. A SKU and inventory must be assigned to the Product before it will be available to ring up in the Register app.
If you don't keep a specific count of gift cards on hand, add a large quantity such as 10,000 - enough that you'll rarely, if ever, need to add more quantity.
Sell a gift card
- In the Register app, tap Add to look up your gift card by name, or print a barcode for gift cards and stick it near the point of sale so budtenders can easily scan it just like any other item.
- Add/scan the gift card, enter the amount the customer wants, then tap the check mark.
- Complete the sale as normal.
Accept gift cards as payment
- Add items to a transaction and tap Charge.
- On the Pay With Cash screen, select Other Payment Methods.
- Select Gift Card, then enter the value of the gift card, or any other amount the customer wants to tender to their gift card.
- If the gift card balance isn't enough to cover the total, select Cash or another payment method for the remainder. Green Bits displays the remaining amount automatically, but you can enter a different amount, if you need to.
- Select Save.
- Tap Tender to complete the transaction.