If you are required by local law to collect and refund deposits for cans and/or glass bottles, refer to this guide to learn how to collect and refund these deposits in Green Bits.
Create a bottle/can deposit item in your Green Bits inventory. See Create charges and fees for a step-by-step guide on creating a bottle/can deposit item.
Whenever a customer purchases a qualifying canned or bottled item, add the appropriate deposit inventory item to the transaction.
When a customer returns empty bottles or cans, there are two ways to process the refund:
Option 1: In the Manage Drawer section of the Register app
- Go to the Manage Drawer section of the Register app.
- Select Paid Out.
- Enter the amount to refund and add a note.
- Select Submit.
The amount and note will then be shown on the Paid In/Paid Out Report (under Other Reports in Back Office).
Option 2: Process a return of the original deposit
- Process a return of the original bottle deposit by going to the Activity page of the Register app.
- Look up the original transaction ID or search for the bottle deposit SKU to pull up matching transactions.
- Select the original transaction.
- Select Return.
- Select the deposit.
- Select Return Items.