If your state taxes different patient types at different rates, you can use Customer Groups to categorize them.
To take advantage of Customer Groups, first schedule changes to your taxes in Green Bits. Then, when you create a customer or patient, select the appropriate Customer Group. Finally, assign a customer or patient to a transaction when you ring a sale, so that Green Bits applies the appropriate taxes.
- Customer list filters currently do not distinguish between different patient types.
- The Customer Group labels reflected below are specific to California. Other states may have different Customer Group labels, though the functionality is the same.
Configure tax exemptions
For each Product Type, select which Customer Groups should pay taxes when they purchase it. For example, if you select the check boxes in every column except Patient (MMIC), all customers who are not MMIC Patients will be charged taxes when they purchase items of that Product Type.
- In the Back Office, go to Settings > Taxes.
- Select the tax that you want to configure.
- For any Customer Groups (Customer, Employee, Patient MMIC, or Patient Physician Recommendation) that should pay taxes, check the boxes in the appropriate columns. If a Customer Group should not pay taxes, leave the box unchecked.
- Repeat this for every Product Type your store sells (for example, flower, edible, topical).
Specify Customer Group when creating Customers or Patients
After you schedule your taxes to account for multiple patient types, you can select the appropriate Customer Group/Patient Type when creating a customer or patient in Back Office or in the Register app. Fill in the other customer information fields as normal, and select Save.
At the Register
When you assign a customer or patient to a sale at the Register, Green Bits automatically applies the appropriate taxes based on your selections on the Taxes page and the Customer Group of the customer.