If your state taxes different patient types at different rates, you can use Customer Groups to categorize them. For example, in some parts of California, Physician Recommendation Patients are taxed at a different rate than MMIC Patients.
To take advantage of Customer Groups, first schedule changes to your taxes in Green Bits. Then, when you create a customer or patient, select the appropriate Customer Group. Finally, assign a customer or patient to a transaction when you ring a sale, so that Green Bits applies the appropriate taxes.
- The Customer Groups feature is not activated by default. To get access to this free feature, please contact Green Bits support.
- Customer exports currently do not distinguish between different patient types.
- Customer list filters currently do not distinguish between different patient types.
Configure tax exemptions
For each Product Type, select which Customer Groups should pay taxes when they purchase it. For example, if you select the check boxes in every column except Patient (MMIC), all customers who are not MMIC Patients will be charged taxes when they purchase items of that Product Type.
- In the Back Office, go to Settings > Taxes.
- Select the tax that you want to configure.
- For any Customer Groups (Customer, Employee, Patient MMIC, or Patient Physician Recommendation) that should pay taxes, check the boxes in the appropriate columns. If a Customer Group should not pay taxes, leave the box unchecked.
- Repeat this for every Product Type your store sells (for example, flower, edible, topical).
Specify Customer Group when creating Customers or Patients
After you schedule your taxes to account for multiple patient types, you can select the appropriate Customer Group when creating a customer or patient. Fill in the other customer information fields as normal, and select Save.
Note: You must create Employees and Patients (MMIC) in the Back Office. If you create a patient in the Register app, they are automatically assigned as a Patient (Physician Recommendation).
At the Register
When you assign a customer or patient to a sale at the Register, Green Bits automatically applies the appropriate taxes based on your selections on the Taxes page and the Customer Group of the customer.