A strong and reliable network is critical to the proper functioning of the Green Bits Register. Follow these recommendations and guidelines to make sure you have the proper network connection.
- Make sure you have a high-speed internet connection
- Don't share the network for your Registers
- Use a business-grade router
- Use static IP addresses for Ethernet printers
- Other considerations for more reliable wireless networks
- Wire all Ethernet devices
- Green Bits does not support the following
Make sure you have a high-speed internet connection
In order for your Register to work properly, your download speed must be greater than 3 Mbps and your upload speed must be at least 1.5 Mbps per iPad in use.
Use this speed checker to check your overall internet speed coming into your business.
If you have other services running on your network, such as jukeboxes or cloud-based security cameras, your speeds need to be higher to account for those extra services.
Don't share the network for your Registers
Use a dedicated network that is only for your Registers.
- Don't share that dedicated network with other services, such as security systems or payment processors.
- Don't share the business network with your customers.
- If you offer Wi-Fi for customers, consult with a network specialist to rate limit customer traffic.
Use a business-grade router
You must use a business-grade router that is located within 60 feet of your iPads. The router must have a clear line-of-sight to the iPads, without walls or large furniture between the router and iPads.
ISP-provided routers, gateways, or combo-boxes are not supported. Use of those devices will result in disconnections.
If you use an ISP-provided router or gateway, set up a network with a second router BEHIND the ISP gateway or router.
|Shaw, Rogers, possibly others||Hitron CGNM-2250|
|Comcast, others||Cisco BWG-DPC3939B|
|Century Link||All makes/models|
|AT&T||Arris NVG Series|
|Spectrum Telecom||Arris DG1670A|
|Time Warner Cable (TWC)||Technicolor TC8715D|
Use static IP addresses for Ethernet printers
Green Bits recommends assigning a static IP address to all Ethernet label and receipt printers. This helps maintain a strong, stable connection, especially if your router reboots after losing power.
- Assign a static IP address to your label printer
- Assign a static IP address to your TSP100III Ethernet receipt printer
Other considerations for more reliable wireless networks
Does your business have multiple floors?
Schedule a technician or installer to conduct a site survey so that your Green Bits system is configured correctly and so that all iPads receive a strong wireless signal. Obstacles like floors, walls, and furniture can drastically reduce the reliability of your Wi-Fi.
How large is your store?
The bigger your store, the greater your Wi-Fi coverage needs to be and the more Wi-Fi access points you need.
Here’s an estimate of how much Wi-Fi coverage you’ll need, based on square footage:
|Number of Wi-Fi points||Square feet of Wi-Fi coverage|
|1||1,500 sq. ft.|
|2||1,500-3,000 sq. ft.|
|3||3,000-4,500 sq. ft.|
|6||9,000 sq. ft.|
Wire all Ethernet devices
All Ethernet-based devices, such as receipt printers and label printers, must have a wired Ethernet connection. Either you can connect the cable from the Register to the Register network router, or you can attach a 10/100 (minimum) switch to the Register router.
Do not use Wi-Fi-to-Ethernet bridges. Green Bits cannot provide installation or support assistance for these devices.
Green Bits does not support the following
- If you have more than 5 total devices including printers or desktop computers, do not use off-the-shelf home or small-business routers for networks.
- Satellite internet.
- Power line Ethernet adaptors.
- Range extenders/repeaters.
- Wi-Fi-to-Ethernet bridges.
- Registers on a shared network.