Delivery sales is a beta feature available only to stores in Michigan, Nevada, and Oregon, and requires Green Bits Register version 1.97 or later. Learn how to update your Register.
Ringing up sales for delivery is a different process from ringing up in-store sales. Use this guide to learn how to ring up delivery sales compliantly.
- Update your permissions
- Ring up a delivery in Green Bits
- Record the delivery in Metrc
- What to do if a delivery was unsuccessful
- What to do if you make a mistake
- Accept returns on delivery items
Update your permissions
Before you can ring up delivery sales, you need to enable the Create deliveries permission for the role(s) that will be responsible for delivery sales.
Green Bits recommends restricting this permission only to certain roles, such as:
- Store owners/admins
- General managers
- Shift supervisors
To update permissions:
- First, make sure you have Manage Roles permissions. If not, ask a user who has these permissions to do the following steps.
- Go to Settings > Roles.
- Select a Role.
- In the Make Sales section, select Advanced to expand the list of permissions.
- Check the box for Create deliveries.
- Select Save.
Repeat steps 2-6 for any other Roles as needed.
Ring up a delivery in Green Bits
To remain compliant, complete the following steps in order before any cannabis products leave your store:
- Start a new sale at the Register.
- Tap the Delivery toggle so it turns green. You are now making delivery sales.
Note: the Delivery toggle stays on for all users with the Create deliveries permission who sign into this Register until a user taps the Delivery toggle again to turn it off, Force Quits the Register app, or restarts the iPad.
- Complete the sale according to the normal process.
- Print two copies of the receipt. If you have Auto Print Receipts enabled in your Store Options, tap Reprint Receipt to print a second copy. Otherwise, tap Print Receipt twice. If you forget to print two copies, you can reprint a receipt from the Activity screen in the Register app.
- Give one copy of the receipt to the customer when you complete the delivery.
- Keep the other copy for your records.
Note: Green Bits does not currently distinguish between delivery sales and in-store sales in Back Office reports. If the delivery is unsuccessful, you make an entry error, or you need to accept a return of a delivery item, you will need the receipt.
- If you're finished making delivery sales, start new a sale to access the Delivery toggle. Tap to turn it off.
- Proceed with a regular sale, or sign out out of the Register.
Record the delivery in Metrc
Be sure to review your state's approved process for deliveries:
- In Michigan, see the Metrc Support Bulletin on Patient Sales Delivery.
- In Nevada, contact the Department Of Taxation's Marijuana Enforcement Division.
- In Oregon, see the OLCC Retail Home Delivery Metrc Guide.
- In Metrc, go to Sales > Deliveries.
- Select Record Deliveries.
- Fill in every field on the Sales Delivery form.
- Your Planned Route should be as detailed as possible.
- If you're making multiple deliveries in one trip, your Planned Route should reflect this.
- Select Record Sales Deliveries.
- Back on the Sales Deliveries screen, select the delivery you're about to make and then select View Manifest.
- Print the delivery manifest.
- Every delivery order that leaves your store must be accompanied by a printed delivery manifest.
- If you're making multiple deliveries in one trip, you need a separate manifest for each delivery.
- Deliver the items and take payment.
- Remember to verify the identity and age of the recipient.
- If the recipient is also a medical patient, remember to verify that their medical ID card is valid and matches the ID number recorded in Metrc.
- Leave the delivery manifest and Green Bits receipt with the recipient.
- If the delivery was successful, find the delivery in Metrc and select Complete.
What to do if a delivery was unsuccessful
Sometimes you can't successfully complete a delivery. Possible reasons include:
- You couldn't verify the recipient's identity, age, or medical ID card.
- You couldn't find the delivery location.
- The recipient didn't answer the door.
- The recipient couldn't pay the full amount.
- The recipient was visibly intoxicated.
If you couldn't successfully complete a delivery for any reason:
- Void the delivery sale in Green Bits.
- In Metrc, find the delivery and select the Complete button.
Do not Void an unsuccessful delivery in Metrc. Only Void a delivery sale in Metrc if it was entered by mistake.
- For any items that were not successfully delivered, check the box for Reject Package.
- Select a Return Reason.
- Enter a detailed Note.
- Select Complete Sales Delivery.
Remember: accurate and prompt record keeping in Metrc is important for compliance. In the event of an unsuccessful delivery, take these steps as soon as possible.
What to do if you make a mistake
Accept returns on delivery items
Consult your state's regulatory agency before accepting returns on delivery items. As with in-store sales, some cannabis products can't be returned or resold once they leave your store.
Alternatively, consider making it your official store policy that all sales are final. Make sure your customers understand your return policy by adding it to your receipt.
If you do accept returns on delivery items:
- Return the item(s) in Green Bits.
- Process the return or update the original sale in Metrc according to your state's guidelines.