Follow the steps below to set up and start using your Star mC-Print3 receipt printer.
- Order an mC-Print3
- Connect to power and load paper
- Connect the printer to your iPad
- Connect the printer to your network
- Connect the printer to your cash drawer
- Connect the printer in the Register app settings
- What's next?
Order an mC-Print3
Connect to power and load paper
- Remove the rear cover by inserting your fingernails or a flat object into the clearances as shown below. Pull out each side one by one.
- With the rear cover removed, connect the power cord and AC adapter to the DC 24V port.
- Turn on the printer, open the front cover, and load paper as shown:
- Close the front cover. The printer automatically cuts any excess paper from the roll.
Connect the printer to your iPad
IMPORTANT: Star printers require that you use a Lightning cable manufactured by Apple. Do not use a non-Apple cable; third-party Lightning cables may not provide a reliable connection or consistent charging.
- Connect a USB 2.0 Lightning cable (the charging cable that came with your iPad) to the iPad 2.4A port.
- Connect the other end of the Lightning cable to your iPad. Your iPad should begin charging.
- On your iPad's home screen, select Settings, then Touch ID & Passcode.
- If you don't don't have a passcode you should create one.
- Select Turn Passcode On, enter a passcode and re-enter it when prompted.
- Scroll down to the Allow Access When Locked section and make sure USB Accessories is toggled on.
- Now, select Turn Passcode Off, confirm to Turn Off on the confirmation popup and enter your passcode.
- USB Accessories is toggled on. This helps maintain a stable connection between your printer and iPad.
Connect the printer to your network
When connected to your network, the printer functions as the hub for your point of sale hardware. Your iPad connects to the internet, the cash drawer and scanner, all connect via the mC-Print3 receipt printer.
Connecting to the internet via the mC-Print3 receipt printer will limit the internet speed to the iPad, this is designed by the printer manufacturer for stability reasons.
Download mC-Print Utility
- On the home screen of your iPad, select App Store.
- Search for and download the mC-Print Utility app.
- Open the mC-Print Utility app and tap Selected Printer.
- Select MCP31L. The app automatically goes back to the previous screen.
- Select Printer Settings.
- Scroll down and select Firmware Update. The printer must be using the latest firmware.
- If you see a Printer is up to date message, tap OK and then Back. Otherwise, select Update.
- The update may take several minutes. Do not close the app or disconnect the printer from the iPad during the update process.
- The printer automatically restarts when the update is complete.
Having trouble connecting over Wi-Fi? If you have a poor or inconsistent Wi-Fi signal, you may need to connect over SteadyLAN. To learn how to connect via SteadyLAN, see the following article.
Connect the printer to your cash drawer
The receipt printer controls the automatic opening of your cash drawer when you complete a transaction, even when you don't print a receipt.
- Connect the narrower end of the CD-101A cash drawer cable (included in your Greenbits hardware kit) to the Cash Drawer/Buzzer port.
- Connect the wider end of the cable to the corresponding port on the underside or back of your cash drawer.
- Arrange the connected cables into any of the three openings along the bottom rear of the printer, then snap the rear cover back into place.
Connect the printer in the Register app settings
- Sign in to the Register app.
- Tap the gear icon .
- Select Settings.
- Select Receipt Printer.
- Wait several seconds for the app to search for printers.
- Connect by USB by tapping MCP31L, even if there is already a check mark next to it. Do not connect by LAN.
- Select Test Print to confirm the connection. If the printer doesn't respond, force-quit the Register app, power the print on and off, disconnect and reconnect the lightning cable from the iPad, and try again.